Sunday, March 22, 2009

Pledging to change

Maryn and Meg... best buddies!

I do try to avoid being up on my soapbox... BUT... I feel this is worthy of a post! Those of you that know me have probably heard me once or twice cringe and grimace at the use of the word "retard" in an offensive manner. So here it is... an opportunity to be made aware! Why don't we stop and think before we speak? Wouldn't our world be a little nicer, if we thought about how our words and actions would affect others before we decide to speak?



My Megan has truly taught me to be aware of others around me. She may not be able to speak as clear as your 6 year old... but she can sure try! As parents, we also have an opportunity to teach our children about the harmful affects of our words. Sometimes we are not even aware of the things our kids say... so, ask them what they know... you may be surprised. I don't think "kids are just mean" I think they just haven't been educated! Be a part of the moving force... click on the pledge button on the right and sign your name... pledge to change... or just to make others aware.

8 comments:

e. said...

I never use that word and will never allow my children to use it. It is beyond offensive. It is abusive. Love to you and your wonderful Meg.

KaYla said...

I never use that word either. I think that is horrible. I love Meg too, and your family for letting me be a part of her life.

Deb said...

You go ahead and stand on that soapbox for as long as you like! More people should care enough to take a stand. My neice has Williams Syndrome and is in between the mild to moderate range. She is about to turn 5 years old and starts kindergarten in the fall. My sister-in-law is really nervous about the comments Madelynn will be exposed to. Madelynn is the sweetest, funniest little ball of fire I have ever met. It makes me sad that people don't take the time to think about how what they say may affect others. So there...that's me on my soapbox! Thanks for the link. I'm going to send it to everyone.

Marc and Stacy said...

I never use that word and love being the aunt of beautiful little Meg! :)

The Hardles said...

Good point, people don't think enough before the speak (me included ;-( ) Thanks for the reminder! Your Megan is a little doll!

Poutua said...

Thanks for this one Marlo..I think a child's education really starts at home...especially with what is appropriate to say and what is not. Since our primary has more than just a few special needs children, I have had to talk to my own kids about appropriate words and behavior. They are more empathetic. You have my full support!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

your children are beautiful!!

Marcy said...

Thank you! I have found comfort in you this week as I walk a similar path (you can see the story on my blog).